Well, today is the day that the induction was to start.
But after consultation with the doctor -and? factoring in many things including Kathy’s case of the common cold, the baby still not showing any signs that it is eager to come into the real world etc ……
We are now re-scheduled for Sunday (March8). Like many of you, who thought this would be happening this evening, we are too a tad disappointed. But we very much believe this choice is for the best. And who knows, perhaps the baby will make a move on it’s own in the next day(s?)
So, unless the baby makes it’s own schedule, the current plan is for us to check into the hospital on Sunday, with the induced birth and labor most likely on Monday. This will be 11 days past the original ‘due-date’ -but many are now questioning if the original date was maybe off by a bit(?)
The watch continues to tick, but mom and baby are both still doing great and nothing to do but enjoy life and wait!
Well, a week has gone by with still no indication that the baby is ready to be born without a bit of encouragement.
So, tomorrow evening we’ll check into the hospital where they’ll administer a drug to help soften and thin the cervix, …meanwhile they’ll have monitoring equipment etc on mom/baby. A simple process that alone might start the process, but more likely come Thursday they’ll induce labor. ? At this point, it looks like a Thursday birth for the new baby.
Mom and baby both are doing GREAT, -well except that Kathryn caught a simple case of the common cold from yours truly and of course I feel terrible for giving it to her.
Today was the last appointment with Doctor Omar at her office ….the next time we see her will be at the hospital to give birth!
Another great doctor visit …just a couple days from due date and no sign that this baby is ready to bust loose. Instead, it seems that baby is content to stay where it is.
Next week will be 41weeks and at that time Dr. Omar will induce labor. In fact, everything is already in place with the hospital etc etc. Should the baby come before then, –>that would be great, but at this point nothing is suggesting that scenario.
So, from here we’re waiting for the baby to make the break-out move on it’s own. If that doesn’t happen before a week from today (Tuesday March3) we meet with Dr. Omar again. And Wednesday evening we’ll go to the hospital where they’ll start to induce labor for a probably Thursday March 5th birth.
Not much new -except that we’re getting more and more excited.
John was away for a couple of days on a business trip and we were a little anxious about the timing ..but it all worked out great and the baby got a new piece of clothing from Dad’s trip to Arizona:
A leisurely weekend here as we double check everything, knowing it could be any day
….The baby’s room is not yet gender-specific as we don’t know whether boy or girl yet …but Kathy has plans and fabric in place for either. We’ll find out which way the room will be customized after the baby arrives!
Kathy’s friend has already volunteered to do all the sewing (for all you who know that Kathy is no Martha Stewart)
And the baby? is well equipped with everything from clothes, to diapers to everything imaginable, the drawers and closet are to the top! A very luck baby -and much thanks owed to the generosity of family and friends
With only a week until due date ….we were very curious if there was any sign that this baby was ready to come out into the real world. Well, no promises, but Dr. Omar doesn’t see any sign this baby coming in the next day or two.
Everything is fine, baby’s head is down, estimated weight at this time 7 to 7.5lbs. Everything with mom and baby checks out just fine.
So, that was about it!? Nothing to do but wait and another appointment in a week.
With the baby a bit over a week away (which means any time now) …we don’t always know what to do with ourselves and this afternoon was an example.
So, we jumped in the car and took a little drive and had some fun …up into the Sierras, over Mt. Rose then lunch at Kings Beach (Lake Tahoe) and then home. Just a few hours, but it was nice to get out.
More Pics of this impromptu afternoon can be seen here(clicky)
Today we installed the fancy new Baby seat for the car. More of an undertaking than you might imagine. The base mounts semi-permanently in the car and the “seat” is designed to click-in-and-out of of the base.
Another great appointment today. Everything tracking wonderfully.
So far, there has always been a next step in the process. For example a test that needs to be run, something for us to do etc. In other words we’ve always had a task on the “to-do” list that has kept us occupied and busy.
Well, no more. Today Dr. Omar said: “Everything looks great, there is nothing else for us to do except wait for the baby.”
That was kinda of a wake-up call! …nothing to do but wait for the baby to come!
Well tonight was our baby-care class. This is where we’d learn all the important things that we’d need to know when we bring our new baby home with us.
There was a long sign up list for this class, we did that many months ago and had to prepay as well.
Kathy had just finished 3 tough nights of work, then went in to the office for a meeting this afternoon. John had a long day at work and this was our first ‘qualityl’ time together for many days. We drove to class together -and we started catching up on the week and trading stories.
…then about 3 blocks from where the class was being held, we drove by a new restaurant -A rib joint called “Texas Roadhouse”. It got our attention as we were both hungry.
Well, like a couple of juvenile delinquents, –we decided to cut class and go have dinner!!
Somehow we’ll have to figure out how to care for this new person who will coming into our lives soon. …..and we may never know what we didn’t learn.